Pictures from the Past
Occasionally we like to change things up a little and do a fun post here and there. So this week we present to you “Pictures from the Past”. We’ll each take a picture of us as a child, state the year and list some facts about us from the year the photo was taken and then list some facts that were happening in the world that year.
1981 – Facts about Me
- We were living in Worms, Germany.
- I was about 2 years old.
- My grandmother gave me the dress I was wearing.
- My parents had bought the rug in the picture second hand from someone who was moving.
- The statue in the background is a Morano dolphin that my parents got on a trip to Italy.
- I’d just returned from my first camping trip vacation in Italy.
1981 – It happened this year in history
- January 20: Ronald Reagan takes the oath as the 40th President of the United States. His inauguration speech was the first live broadcast to use closed captioning for the deaf.
- March 5: Scott Hamilton of the U.S. wins gold at the World Figure Skating Championship in Hartford, Connecticut.
- March 10: The U.S. Postal Service announces an increase in first class postage from 15 to 18 cents.
- July 29: Lady Diana Spencer marries Charles, Prince of Wales.
- August 12: The IBM PC, an early personal computer, is introduced
- September 25: Sandra Day O’Connor was the 102nd Justice sworn in as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, the first woman to hold the office.