1989–Facts About Me
- I was six years old and in kindergarten in this picture.
- My life had drastically changed about five months earlier: I was no longer an only child. The cute little baby I’m holding is my brother, Geoffrey.
- I’d also gotten my first pair of glasses a few weeks before Geoff was born.
- This picture was taken at my maternal grandparents’ house, where I have some great memories of being dearly loved and spoiled rotten.
- I think my grandma made the dress I’m wearing. If not, she made one very similar to it.
- The stocking and tree skirt were made by Aunt Kathy, my mom’s sister, who later made most of my wedding decorations. (Alas, I did not inherit either Aunt Kathy’s or Grandma’s crafty tendancies. Guess that’s why I write.)
- Soviet troops leave Afghanistan after nine years of occupation.
- The Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels of oil in Alaska’s Prince William Sound.
- Student protests in China’s Tiananmen Square lead to the Tiananmen Square Massacre.
- Nintendo releases its first Game Boy device.
- East German government opens checkpoints along the Berlin Wall and within days the wall had been torn down. The East German Communist goverment resigns a month later.