The Year is 1995!
- We were living in Thorigne Fouillard, France when this picture was taken. My dad was a liaison officer in France.
- Behind us is Mont Saint Michel a a rocky tidal island and a commune in Normandy, France. It is located approximately just over a half-mile off the country’s north coast. (Note: Remember Emilie’s post on places she can’t wait to see? Well I had this scheduled before I knew she was writing that post…but there’s Mont Saint Michel in all it’s glory! Now Emilie you’ll have to post a picture of your own when you return!!)
- My family and I had just finished walking across the bay to get there when this photo was taken. The walk across the bay was a yearly event.
- In the two years I lived in Thorigné-Fouillard I visited Mont Saint Michel five times.
- I was sixteen and attending the French high school L’Assumption at the time.
- There was a bakery not even five minutes from my house and for two years I lived off of fresh baguettes every day. It was heaven, or close to it.
It happened this year: 1995
- January: In southern France near Vallon-Pont-d’Arc a network of caves are discovered that contain paintings and engravings that are 17,000 to 20,000 years old.
- March: Yahoo! is incorporated, establishing the Internet Portal as a model.
- April: Truck Bomb devastates Oklahoma City Federal Building killing 168 people.
- May: Jacques Chirac is elected President of France.
- August: NATO launches Operation Deliberate Force against Bosnian Serb forces.
- Major League Baseball players end a 232-day strike
- Windows 95 released by Microsoft.
- DVD, optical disc storage media format, is announced.
- Toy Story (first ever wholly computer generated film)
- Batman Forever
- Apollo 13
Cost of Living:
- Average Cost of new house $113,150.00
- Average Income per year $35,900.00
- Average Monthly Rent $550.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.09
- US Postage Stamp 32 cents