The Year is 1990!
- This picture was taken just after (or possibly before) mass on December 24th 1990. (Though the year is being debated. The photo was printed on Jan. 1992. My mom and I swear though that this picture was from Christmas 1990 and not Christmas 1991. And since film didn’t exactly get developed in a timely manner in my family…it is entirely possible that it was a year later before we developed the film.)
- I was in 6th grade when this picture was taken and we were living in Wurzburg, Germany. (Even if this was 1991 I’d still be living in Germany :))
- My mom made the dress for Becca (my sister) and the jumper for me, which was the latest craze back then.
- My mom made a matching scrunchy for me. (My hair was super long then!)
- My brother (isn’t that the most adorable smile?) is wearing a clip on tie.
- That couch is still in the family. My brother and his wife now have it. It is still in great shape and the most comfortable couch you’ll ever sit on. I think it’s going on well over 20 years old…
- I had braces. It was the start of 7 years of braces for me!
It happened this year: 1990
- Operation Desert Shield Begins as the United States and UK send troops to Kuwait.
- The most complete skeleton of a T-Rex is found in South Dakota.
- The US Enters a major recession.
- Nelson Mandella is released from prison in South Africa after 28 years.
- East and West Germany reunite including currency and economies.
- Microsoft Releases Windows 3.0.
- Depletion of the Ozone Layer is discovered above the North Pole.
- 18 years after its launch the US Space Probe Pioneer reaches a distance of 46.5 billion miles beyond all planetary orbits.
- The Simpsons is seen for the first time on FOX TV
- Popular films this year included: Home Alone, Ghost, Dances with Wolves, and Pretty Woman
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air premiered this year and ran until 1996.
- Entertainment Weekly hits newsstands.
Cost of Living:
- Average Income per year: $28,960.00
- Average Monthly Rent: $465.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas: $1.34
- US Postage Stamp: 25 cents